Guidelines and Eligibility
All applicants should contact the Executive Director at [email protected] or (703) 807-1862 as early in the process as possible. This email or phone conversation is intended to help the applicant understand the grant criteria, and to revise the proposal as recommended.
Evangelism for the 21st Century grants fund innovative evangelism. Applications are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Evangelism: how will the proposal share the Gospel with a new audience?
- Innovation: How is the proposal unique?
- Clarity: Who is the target population, and why will the proposal work in that population?
- Connection: Does the applicant have the resources s/he needs to succeed?
- Budget/Timeframe: Are they realistic? Do they sync? Can the work be accomplished?
E-21 grants are for innovative ministry projects, with evangelism at their core. They are NOT for tuition and fees, cross-cultural immersions, or internships with existing programs. Projects must have an immediate evangelical impact for the Episcopal Church, and must be of the applicants’ innovation. The following types of projects are ineligible:
- Pilgrimage, cross cultural immersions, and language immersion programs
- Internships with established programs
- Study with other academic institutions
- Projects whose exclusive benefit is for the applicant’s own institution
The same essential criteria apply to faculty proposals, with the following additional exclusions:
- Travel and research for publication that is part of regular faculty development
- Work with established programs
- Development of course work, participation in institutional partnerships, and development of companion relationships
- Development of programs for the faculty member’s own institution
- Faculty proposals should be innovative. The target audience should be wider than the academic, publication and teaching circles in which the applicant usually ministers.
E-21 grants are $500 – $5,000. Eligible expenses are related to the program development and delivery: travel, room, board, stipend, publication, some training. Equipment, such as a new camera or computer, is not eligible. Faculty applicants should note the additional criteria.
Any Episcopalian in any accredited seminary community (student, faculty or staff) or the Episcopalian spouse or partner of a seminary student, faculty or staff member is eligible.